I had been on hold and waiting for a customer service representative for close to half an hour. The scratchy music was hard enough on my ears without the additional break-in suggesting that my call was "very important" to them. My blood pressure rose, as did my boredom.
Then I did the unthinkable. I walked in front of my refrigerator to flop on the bed. The cellphone signal broke. My phone disconnected.
Moments like this one trigger all kinds of thoughts. I had already decided that my call wasn't "very important" to them, or they wouldn't have left me on hold. I would have dealt with a human instead of a computer, and they would have played cool music of my choosing, or at last updated to something that didn't sound like over-used vinyl.
I was on a role. Living where I live didn't help the situation any, so I came up with a rapid fire listing covering some of the disadvantages:
*There is a direct correlation
between opening windows, and farmers spreading manure.
*The choices of internet are as
follows: slow, very slow, slower than
that, or none.
*Cellphone signals view my house
as a dead zone unless the wind is
blowing in the right direction. If the
wind is blowing just right, a roaming triangle might appear on screen. Unlimited talk/text/data to anywhere in the
U.S. is a farce. Paying federal taxes,
on the other hand, are not.
*Everyone knows who you are. (Fill in the potential reason of your choice
as to why.)
*Showers of whirlybird seeds from
the maples landing the gutters.
*Tractors dust settling
EVERYWHERE.
*Rusty, icky, smelly water that
only the devil could love.
*Ragweed, corn tassels, and
soybean dust.
It felt good to get those truths out in the open, my blood pressure lowered, and I was left with only a moderate level of hate for computerized customer-service lines. I reanalyzed my living environment, and came up with this quick list of advantages:
*Everyone knows who you are. (Fill in the potential reason of your choice as
to why.)
* Showers of whirlybird seeds from
the maples raining down in the spring.
*Watching maple syrup buckets
fill, followed by eating maple syrup drippy pancakes. ( I skipped a few steps in the process, but I’m
not a part of any crew that stays up all night boiling the sap.)
*A community spring with the
best-tasting water, and the folks I get to meet when we gather to fill our
cooler jugs.
*Bonfires of our chosen size.
*Living with internet
limitations.
*Living with cellphone
limitations.
I like where I live minus a few glitches. Dealing with customer service isn't necessarily that bad either since I can make the call while on the clock at the office. Everybody who deals with computerized "we care" messages should get paid for their time. This seems only fair.
No comments:
Post a Comment